Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Emotions

Seeking a meaningful relationship with God through emotions is as successful as seeking a meaningful relationship with a significant other through emotions; it's fast and the relationship burns out.

A relationship with God may not start with emotion. Sometimes it starts with endurance. I remember when I first started reading my Bible consistently it was hard work. I got lost in Chronicles and frustrated but I kept going because I wanted to know God. That is how my relationship started. It was hard work. In a human relationship successful ones start with an understanding of who the other person is. With God the more we know Him the more we grow to like Him.

As the dad from "The Wedding Planner" would say, "[talking about his wife] For the first time, I appreciated her. Then the appreciation grew to respect. Respect grew to like. Then like grew to love. A deeper love than I could ever hope for."

We grow to love God as we are committed to Him. Then through endurance the emotions come.

Christianity is not about starting with emotions and sprinting, hoping to have enough energy to persevere. It's about a journey that starts with faith and the deeper you go obeying and trusting God the deeper your emotions are towards God.

--At least that has been my experience so far.

1 comment: